Rudy Giuliani Ordered to Pay $148.1m in Damages for Lies about Election Workers

• Rudy Giuliani Ordered to Pay $148.1m in Damages for Lies about Election Workers

Posted by Unknown Member on December 15, 2023 at 8:41 pm

Rudy Giuliani ordered to pay $148.1m in damages for lies about election workers

A jury has ordered Rudy Giuliani to pay former election workers Ruby Freeman and her daughter, Shaye Moss, $148.1m after he spread lies about them following the 2020 election.

It is one of the most significant verdicts to date seeking accountability for those who attempted to overturn the 2020 election.

There were gasps in the courtroom when the amount was read out and the judge stumbled over the number as she read out the verdict, according to media reports.

Giuliani did not appear to show any emotion as the damages were announced. Former Atlanta election workers Freeman and Moss hugged their attorney after the amount was announced.

The damages were $100m above what the women had asked for and included nearly $16.2m and $17m in compensatory damages for Freeman and Moss respectively.

It also included $20m to each woman for intentional infliction of emotional distress, and an additional $75m in punitive damages. Giuliani owes approximately $275,000 in additional legal fees.

Giuliani himself dismissed the verdict and told reporters outside the Washington federal courthouse that he will appeal, saying the “absurdity of the number merely underscores the absurdity of the entire proceeding”. “It will be reversed so quickly it will make your head spin, and the absurd number that just came in will help that actually,” he said.

Speaking outside court on Friday, Freeman said: “Today’s a good day. A jury stood witness to what Rudy Giuliani did to me and my daughter and held him accountable, and for that I’m thankful.

Today is not the end of the road, we still have work to do. Rudy Giuliani was not the only one who spread lies about us, and others must be held accountable too. But that is tomorrow’s work.”

Freeman’s daughter, Shaye Moss, also gave a statement, saying: “The flame that Giuliani lit with those lies and passed to so many others to keep that flame blazing changed every aspect of our lives – our homes, our family, our work, our sense of safety, our mental health. And we’re still working to rebuild.”

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/live/2023/dec/15/rudy-giuliani-defamation-trial-election-workers-verdict-live-updates?filterKeyEvents=false&page=with:block-657cea5d8f08a7f5b92674b4

ObscureandFuzzy replied 4 months, 2 weeks ago 4 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Muscle4Muscle2009

December 16, 2023 at 2:07 am

As the American system always does, Rudy will simply appeal and the damages awarded will get tied up in court, maybe for years. This is the American way. Look at Alex Jones…will the victims every get any monetary recourse? I wonder…..I think instead of adjudicating civil cases against morons and clowns like trump and giuliani, jail time is a much more palpable choice. Both for justice and sending a more powerful message, they should be fined AND sent to jail.

• ObscureandFuzzy

Organizer
    December 16, 2023 at 12:10 pm

Blaine

Member December 16, 2023 at 11:34 am

Rudy looking as crazy as he has become! What happened to the NYC Mayor I admired in the aftermath of 9/11?

There are reports out there that he has developed a problem with alcohol in recent years.

• Unknown Member

December 16, 2023 at 12:44 pm

Multimillion-dollar ruling against Giuliani shows cost of spreading election lies

As the 2024 election approaches, the $148m judgment against a key Trump ally sends a message that falsehoods have consequences.

The judge had already decided Rudy Giuliani defamed the two former Georgia election workers, the question was just how much that cycle of lies and ensuing harassment should cost him.

A jury declared on Friday that it was worth an eye-popping $148m, far beyond expectations and a major blow to the former New York mayor and key Donald Trump ally.

The case was one of a handful of ways pro-democracy groups are seeking consequences for election subversion ahead of the next presidential election.

The plaintiffs hope the high-dollar decision will show to Giuliani and others that there’s a financial and human cost to spreading lies.

The stakes are high with the 2024 presidential election quickly approaching and Trump probably on the ballot once again.

This week’s case was a test for accountability for purveyors of election lies from the everyday people who get caught in their web through no fault of their own. The test worked:

Giuliani will have to pay up. Whether it matters to serial liars remains to be seen, but it serves as a strong deterrent to those considering spreading unfounded election conspiracies.

Beyond the money, however, this was an avenue for Freeman and her daughter, Moss, to speak directly to one of the people responsible for tearing their lives apart. A public figure such as Giuliani expects and accepts a level of intrusion into their privacy.

Everyday people working elections, as Freeman and Moss were, shouldn’t have to.

They took the stand this week to detail the onslaught of threats and harassment that came after Giuliani, an attorney for Trump, and Trump’s team put them at the center of an election conspiracy.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/dec/15/rudy-giuliani-damages-cost-analysis-takeaways

• ObscureandFuzzy

Organizer
    December 16, 2023 at 6:26 pm

@outdoorsguy

Member December 16, 2023 at 12:44 pm

Multimillion-dollar ruling against Giuliani shows cost of spreading election lies

I don’t think it’s simply spreading election lies, it has to do with defamation. I believe it is still not a crime to spread lies in the USA, as lies are protected speech so long as they don’t cross the line over to defamation.

If spreading lies was a crime, CNN/MSNBC would be on the hook for trillions of dollars by now. 😉